[lug] Distribution favorites?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 18:34:21 MST 2006

On 11/3/06, Elyse M. Grasso <emgrasso at data-raptors.com> wrote:
> On Friday 03 November 2006 6:28 pm, Collins Richey wrote:
> > On 11/3/06, Elyse M. Grasso <emgrasso at data-raptors.com> wrote:
> >

> > > So... what distros with good KDE support do people recommend?
> > >
> > > I've downloaded Kubuntu and stuck it in a virtual machine, but the
> > > installation feels sort of fluffy and Microsofty. I need to see whether it
> > > can get to a more geeky feeling configuration without too much tweaking.
> > > --
> >
> > I must be easier to please. I find Kubuntu quite adequate for my
> > needs. I could careless about geekiness.
> >
> > There are a growing number of Kubuntu users, and Mark Shuttleworth has
> > deemed it worthy of ongoing support. Check out the Kubuntu forums and
> > lists. My only problem is that 95% of the stuff in Ubuntu land is
> > targeted for Gnome.
> >
> I think my problem with a lot of the distributions I'm seeing is that I really
> despise the way they do admin.
>
> I find the Kubuntu installation which tries to hide the concept of root very
> untrustworthy. It makes me wonder what else they have mangled in non-standard
> ways that will boobytrap things for someone from a UNIX background.

The rootless setup under Ubuntu is a common complaint, but one that
I've grown accustomed to, and this is the way we do things at work for
our RH systems. Root is root. It makes no difference that I key 'sudo
su -' with my own password instead of 'su -' with a root password to
become root. If you don't like that, you can set a root password.

Ubuntu is very much a standard Debian system in most all respects,
except for those limited few applications that need root authorization
- cups,the kde and gnome control panel aps, etc. In these cases, a
special interface exists  to allow rootless access.

Other than that I don't see anything that has been 'mangled'. If
you've never used Linux systems of the Debian flavor (Solaris, xxBSD,
etc. admins) you are going to encounter differences, but that's just
life in the big city. As an example, /usr/local is used for a lot of
stuff on Solaris, but most Linux distros hold that open for stuff
added by the local admin.

--
Collins Richey