[lug] CLUE Installfest next Saturday: install or upgrade fed core 4->6?

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Wed Nov 8 10:09:22 MST 2006

I went thru a lot of trouble to install fedora core 4 because my mother
board was sufficiently new (at the time) that the automated procedure to
install the video drivers and Marvel network drivers did not work and it was
very painful figuring out which drivers to download from where and manually
install them. I had to go to an install fest just to figure out how to make
the NTFS run so I could mount NTFS partitions.

My MSI motherboard and 64bit 3.2 GHz Pentium were brand new 18 months ago.

I was hoping to be running fedora core 5 or 6 at the end of install fest.
I've never upgraded linux box, I've only installed new versions of linux.

How do upgrades work: can I do them from a dvd or must I clog the network
connection at the install fest? Should I burn a fedora core 6 DVD?

Let me know what you recommend. I was thinking it would be safer to upgrade
rather to install.

Thanks,
Siegfried