[lug] CLUE Installfest next Saturday: install or upgrade fed core 4->6?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 15:04:54 MST 2006

On 11/8/06, siegfried <siegfried at heintze.com> wrote:
> I went thru a lot of trouble to install fedora core 4 because my mother
> board was sufficiently new (at the time) that the automated procedure to
> install the video drivers and Marvel network drivers did not work and it was
> very painful figuring out which drivers to download from where and manually
> install them. I had to go to an install fest just to figure out how to make
> the NTFS run so I could mount NTFS partitions.
>
> My MSI motherboard and 64bit 3.2 GHz Pentium were brand new 18 months ago.
>
> I was hoping to be running fedora core 5 or 6 at the end of install fest.
> I've never upgraded linux box, I've only installed new versions of linux.
>
> How do upgrades work: can I do them from a dvd or must I clog the network
> connection at the install fest? Should I burn a fedora core 6 DVD?

I don't think you'll clog the network connection if you do a net
install. For me, the average badwidth consumed during that sort of
install is 250-500 KBps.

I've done 6 upgrade attempts from Core 5 to Core 6. 2 of those failed
- 1 presumably due to insufficient RAM (128 megs), and the other due
(I think) to yum not handling a mix of 32 and 64 bit packages on the
Core 5 system (I had to do it piecemeal, sometimes removing 32-bit
packages with "--nodeps", and trusting they'd be replaced (or
obsoleted) when installing the new versions of packages which depended
on them.

Your system doesn't have a 64-bit CPU, and it's new enough that RAM
shouldn't be a problem. Keeping in mind that I haven't done a 4->6
upgrade, I'd still guess you could do it - just count on taking a
couple of hours to finish.

Calvin