[lug] CLUE Installfest next Saturday: install or upgrade fed core 4->6?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Nov 8 18:07:46 MST 2006

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
[...]
> We install pretty much all of our machines, including FC5 and FC6, from PXE
> over the net.  It tends to work extremely well for me, and is blazingly
> fast.  Our typical installs take around 5 minutes, but they also usually
> are fairly minimal, installing only around 1GB of data.  Much faster than
> CD installs though.

Since I have the ISOs on the server, rather than unpack them I loop
mount them under fedora/[1-5].  Supposedly the installer knows how to
handle a repository divided that way but when I tested it with FC5 it
would choke looking for a package that was under fedora/2.

Maybe that's easy to fix, maybe a bug in the installer (which I pulled
off the CD and stuck in PXE), or maybe it's just too wierd a setup.

How do you set up your RPM repository for net installs?

Dave