[lug] memory configurations

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Nov 11 15:34:10 MST 2006

D. Stimits wrote:

> I'm looking at some advertisements for RAM, and I see there is a
> "single rank" and "dual rank" rating (I'm looking at Kingston, don't
> know if this is just their own thing or if it applies to DDR2 in
> general), and also an x4 and x8 rating. What's the difference between
> these, especially with respect to adding to SMP machines?

Well...reply to my own email. I *think* from what I've found that single
rank is better, that dual rank refers to essentially two separate ram
modules being on one physical slot. E.G., a dual rank would logically
look like two separate slots to the system, and a single rank would look
like just 1 logical slot (both would require 1 physical slot). Anyone
know if this is basically correct?

I'm still trying to figure out the x4 and x8 rating, I'm wondering if
this is just some latency rating...anyone have an interpretation on the
x4 or x8 ratings? Which is better?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net