[lug] distribution favorites?

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun Nov 12 23:08:33 MST 2006

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 02:50:23PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> I do, as a Debian mirror admin, care that my Debian mirror takes as much
> maintenance on an ongoing basis as all the other sites I mirror combined.
> I've had to switch mirrors at least 3 times in the last year because the
> upstream I've chosen either goes away, or starts having an incomplete feed,
> etc.  So, my experience tells me that it may be the mirror infrastructure
> that's to blame.  Should I really have to care though?  :-/

As a 5-year Debian stable user, I think this is my #1 complaint.  I can't even
count the number of times a mirror goes down and it blocks my apt-get update,
or my upgrade, or hangs one of the two.  I shouldn't even have to know that a
mirror is down.  I don't know why Debian can't get their act together on this
issue, it strikes me as amateur every time it happens.