[lug] distribution favorites?

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Mon Nov 13 13:23:56 MST 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 12:38:48PM -0700, Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 04:20:48AM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>
> > >How many versions are they going to be concurrently backporting security fixes
> > >for, by the way?
> >
> > The number I've heard is 5 years, that seems to be what their site says.  I
> > think it's RHEL that is doing 7 years.  If you do the math, 5 years at a
> > release every 6 month is something around 10.
>
> I'm getting my free Ubuntu CD shipped to me, sounds interesting.
>
> But I still am a bit skeptical.  Are voluteers doing these security backports
> for 10 different versions on 4 or 5 platforms every time an exploit comes
> along?  These fixes are often not trivial, especially when talking about 5
> year old code.
>
> What I'm really getting at is: is their organizational structure sustainable
> like Debian?  Or are they being propped up by company money or anything else
> which will cause their distro to collapse when it disappears?  If not, then it
> looks very good to me.

Ubuntu is supported by a South African who made millions in some kind of high
tech computer venture. He spent a few millions on a trip into space on a Russian
Soyus. Ubuntu has all the appearance of a legitimate philanthropic venture.
It likely will last as long as philanthropic ventures are allowed to last under
South African law.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net