[lug] software engineering

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Nov 13 18:28:58 MST 2006

Evelyn Mitchell wrote:

> Has anyone else seen Crew Resource Management in an IT or Systems context?

Ohhh, now THAT's it... the big spark of an idea I was looking for.

I'm a pilot and I completely "get" CRM, and know how it really does do a
pretty dang good job of keeping a lot of failure-prone people alive
every day.

Now I'm going to be stewing over this all night -- how to correctly
train and apply CRM techniques in IT.  Hell, thinking about how to sales
pitch management on trying to use it... hmmmm...

I can definitely see it working in the Operations side of the house, but
lacking a real understanding of the typical software "development
process" that happens right at a Software Engineer's desk, I am not sure
I'd ever be able to figure out how to teach it to Software Engineers as
a methodology.

Question: Would you consider "pair programming", like what is practiced
by the XP methodology folks, similar to CRM techniques in aircraft,
minus the refactoring and closed-loop continuous update jive?

I don't think that quite fits... pair programming is oversight, but is
missing the checklists and knowledge of how the pair works together.  A
good pair might figure that type of thing out on their own, but it's not
there naturally.  Hmmm....

Man that's cool.  CRM in IT.

Critical checklist items committed to memory AND that memory tested by
someone.  Non-critical items on a checklist but known and done
instinctively while still referring to the checklist.

Of course that starts to head toward licensure... which is where the
Doctors, Architects, Lawyers, Electricians, Plumbers, and all the other
Engineers in the world already are... which kinda runs full-circle back
to the original discussion.

CRM techniques are ADVANCED techniques for fully-qualified and licensed
professional pilots who had to put in their time at the lower ranks and
ratings.  Hmm.

Many private and other mid-range pilots *use* CRM techniques in their
cockpits also, and can seek out CRM training, etc...

But the higher ranked pilots are TESTED on using the techniques.  You're
graded on your ability to apply CRM techniques in an airliner cockpit,
but you're not in a Cessna.  However, CRM makes BOTH pilots better pilots...

(I'm sitting here saying, Hmmmm out loud as I'm thinking.  THANKS FOR
SHARING THAT THOUGHT EVELYN!... of course, it's now going to take up all
my remaining brain-cycles while I drive home... and I was planning on
listening to an Aviation podcast too... I'll probably be making
correlations in my head all the way home.)

Nate