[lug] Initial impressions of Kubuntu

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Nov 14 10:17:29 MST 2006

Daniel Webb wrote:
> In short: not good.
>
> So far I haven't been able to get past "Loading", where it hangs on the
> initial boot screen, which really doesn't tell me anything about what's wrong.
> Now, it may be that I have a bad CD.  Still, the help menus in the initial
> boot haven't given me much confidence.  For example, all through the help
> menus, it refers to a "boot prompt", but as far as I can tell never once
> describes how to get such a beast.  It's a graphical menu, there should be a
> "boot prompt" option on the menu, right?  Wrong.  Well, at least a "boot
> prompt" option on the key menu at the bottom, right?  Wrong.

Sounds like you're going to have to find a way to stay out of the
graphical boot menu.  Haven't done Kbuntu, so I'm no help there, but I
sure hope there's a way to bypass it and stay at a more "usual" grub
setup, or similar?

> In one of the help menus, it refers to "expert mode" which is supposedly on
> the F3 help page.  The F3 page has the word "expert" on it exactly 0 times.

Heh.  Nice.

> This is the 6.06 LTS release, which I assume means it has gone through
> some quality control.  But it's hard to imagine that they did even cursory
> usability testing or quality control of the boot menu given the above.
> We're not talking about hundreds of pages of documentation, we're talking
> about obvious and important deficiencies on 10 short pages of help.

This is the type of thing from our other thread that makes me think very
little if any testing is done at all on anything right now.  :-)

> The only thing I have gotten to work so far is the option to "boot to hard
> disk", where Knoppix resides.  :)

I usually consider these types of problems hints that I probably will
have OTHER problems with a distro because they're showing off their
"skill" at screwing things up right from the start.

If I'm really dying to run the new one, I'll spend hours screwing around
with it or finding alternatives.

If I was just "playing around", the CD-R (or CD-RW if I remembered to be
environmentally conscious) heads for the trashcan (or gets put in the
re-use pile) and I go do something more fun or useful with that
particular day's time.  We only have so much of it.

Nate