[lug] Initial impressions of Kubuntu

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Tue Nov 14 16:28:45 MST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 04:14:06PM -0700, Daniel Webb wrote:

> Also, they seem to use a "special" version of cp for transferring the files
> from CD to HD.  It's been 2 hours and it's moved from 13% to 14%.  Knoppix
> does the transfer on that machine in 20 minutes.

[Replying to myself]

I swapped out the factory CD drive with an after-market DVD drive in the
Thinkpad 600E and now the Ubuntu installer is copying over like I would expect
(20 minutes or so).  So why would a newer drive work when the original didn't?
Could it be an issue of on-board cache on the CD drive or something?
The original drive seemed to be seeking a ton, and the newer one very little.
Is there a kernel setting that can address this so I can still use my old
drives?