[lug] Rethinking Ubuntu

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Tue Nov 14 19:45:05 MST 2006

Ok, I didn't understand the distinction between "real" Ubuntu packages and
"universe" Ubuntu packages until now.  It seems from this:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/net/

that openvpn is not part of the regular archive.  Are you F'ing serious?  Is
there anyone on this list who DOESN'T use openvpn with their desktops?

So in other words, if I go with Ubuntu, I have 3 years of security updates,
except for critical packages such as OpenVPN.  Am I crazy in thinking that
lack of OpenVPN is a deal-breaker for a desktop?  I consider that top-10
important, up there with rsync, ssh, Firefox, and OpenOffice.