[lug] Initial impressions of Kubuntu

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Nov 14 23:08:35 MST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 04:14:06PM -0700, Daniel Webb wrote:
>But that new one doesn't have the 3-year security updates right?  That's the
>selling point for me to try Ubuntu.

Ugh, I guess not.  Good point.  Feh!

>their energy into the installer and not much QA into the boot menu.  I'll fix

Did you submit a bug on the boot menu?

>The installer does screw up the time, switching it to GMT *after* you set it
>to the local time in the installer.  Is there *any* Linux installer that
>doesn't somehow screw up the time?  I haven't seen one yet.

I don't think I've run into a problem with any of the Fedora or CentOS
releases.

>Also, they seem to use a "special" version of cp for transferring the files
>from CD to HD.  It's been 2 hours and it's moved from 13% to 14%.  Knoppix
>does the transfer on that machine in 20 minutes.

That sounds like something is wrong...  But, then again, I do most of my
installs over PXE and the network, often configured for server workloads,
so my installs tend to take around 5 minutes.

Sean
--
 I love the smell of napalm in the morning.  It smells like...  Victory.
               -- _Apocalypse_Now_