[lug] Choosing among possible wireless essids

Todd Ruskell truskell at mines.edu
Wed Nov 15 16:36:23 MST 2006

Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Windows and Mac, the wireless network configuration gives you a pulldown
> list of the seen AP essids to choose from.  KDE does not seem to do this in
> the network configuration utility, it just gives a place to enter an essid.
> Is there a standard was to do this with Linux yet?

I'm using the network-admin which shipped with xubuntu 6.06.  In
Debian-land, it appears to be in the gnome-system-tools package.  It's
pretty decent, and when you select the wireless interface it gives you a
nice drop-down list of visible AP essids.

If you want to stay strictly with kde, have you tried the separate
KWiFimanager application?  I've just played with it a little, and it at
least appears to scan for available APs.  In my 5 minutes of playing
it's not clear how to activate what it sees, but seems it should be
possible.  It looks like the network configuration utility is a subset
of what KWiFimanager provides.

Even though I'm generally a kde person, I've been pretty happy with
network-admin, and since that's what got installed by default, that's
what I'm using.

Todd
--
Dr. Todd G. Ruskell                         Phone: 303-384-2080
Senior Lecturer, Department of Physics      FAX:   303-273-3919