[lug] Latency for serial port hardware handshake?

Wagner, Carl Carl.Wagner at level3.com
Thu Nov 16 17:35:42 MST 2006

Dan,

If I remember correctly the 16550A has a 16 byte FIFO.
After you de-assert CTS does it continue to send bytes out the wire?
Is it possible that the FIFO on the 16550A is being overrun?

Do you need to use one of the real-time Linux extensions?
Can you slow the baud rate down to compensate for possible interrupt
latency?
Can you de-assert CTS after 2 packets?

I am not sure I would expend a lot of time on this if your target is a
StrongARM, unless the StrongARM implements a virtual 16550A.

That is about as much help as I can give.
Carl.