[lug] Latency for serial port hardware handshake?

Dan Julio djulio99 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 22:01:56 MST 2006

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for responding.

Sorry for the confusing email.  By packet I meant a
1-16 byte group of characters that the DCE device
processes at a fixed rate.  At a certain size of
packet the device can process each packet before the
next is delivered.  But there are certain smaller
packets that must be dealt with.  That's why the
device has a 4-entry FIFO (64 bytes total).  Under
worst-case situations the device may need to stop the
linux host (DTE) from sending more data.

I wrote some test firmware today that just counted
incoming characters after it de-asserted CTS.  On the
linux side I had a simple program just blast as much
data as possible with hardware handshaking enabled.  I
consistently got an extra 16 bytes after de-asserting
CTS.  This leads me to believe that CTS is not looked
at (at least in my linux box) by the UART.  I think
the driver looks at it before loading the UART
(16-byte) FIFO.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

Dan