[lug] hardware question

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sat Nov 18 23:56:18 MST 2006

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 09:53:14PM -0700, bgiles at coyotesong.com wrote:

> Quick hardware question.  I just swapped out my hard disk and had no
> problem installing Debian and doing some initial setup while the disk was
> resting on the floor.  I shut down the system, moved the disk into its
> holder, and hit the switch in the back.
>
> Now the system isn't booting.  The fans spin up but then immediately spin
> down.  My first thought was that one of the cables had brushed against
> something, but that doesn't seem to be the case?
>
> Any ideas before I make a trek to get a new motherboard or barebones
> system?  I have a growing fear that somebody cut corners and that wasn't a
> hard switch.

Double check all your power connectors to make sure there isn't a short.
Also, it sounds weird but I've seen motherboards under stress cause this, and
loosening the MB mounting screws or PCI mounting screws fixed it.  Make sure
there aren't any dropped screws on the MB or anything like that.

First though, try unplugging power to one perhipheral at a time and if one of
them is shorting it won't shut down right away any more.  I've seen bad
MB, bad CDROMs, bad floppies, and bad HD all cause this symptom.