[lug] ipw2200 and Master mode

Nick Golder nrg at nirgo.net
Tue Nov 21 09:29:08 MST 2006

On 2006-11-20 16:06 -0700, Nick Golder wrote:
> I am trying to get my ipw2200 wireless card working in "Master" mode
> (ie. make it the access point) and the 2.6.17 kernel doesn't seem to
> support this.  Is Master mode even supported by the firmware?  I found
> the ipw2200-ap project but that firmware version seems a bit dated (even
> though it had a recent release).
>
> Is this even possible?  I have found conflicting reports.

To answer my own question.  It is possible to use the ipw2200 in Master
mode using the ip2200-ap driver and firmware.  It doesn't work all that
well so I just resorted to using an onhand card that has the prism2
chipset on the PCCard bus.

The end goal is to share a GPRS connection with a few wifi clients.

--
-Nick Golder