[lug] OT: drive cables

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Nov 22 04:14:25 MST 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 07:41:45PM +0000, D. Stimits wrote:
>I know that there are SAS cables which are "clumped" so to speak, and at
>the other end work with either SAS drives or SATA drives. But what about

I haven't yet tested them, but I have recently received a couple of SAS to
4xSATA cables, which my plan is to use to connect a SATA 4-drive backplane
to a 4-port SATA board.  My understanding is that this should Just Work
(tm), but I haven't tested it and don't fully understand what exactly makes
SAS different from just 4 bundled SATA cables (for example Multilane SATA).

The time I've spent researching the issue in the past has not exactly
explained it to my satisfaction.

Sean
--
 This message is REALLY offensive, so I ROT-13d it TWICE.
                 -- Sean Reifschneider being silly on #python, 2000