[lug] Bruce Perens's open letter to Novell

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Wed Nov 22 22:43:15 MST 2006

I'm not sure what the feeling is locally about the Novell-Microsoft deal, but
it seems to me that it *is* a big deal.  Nobody spends 1/3 of a billion
dollars without expecting *a lot* in return.  I simply can't draw any other
conclusion than that Microsoft's expected "return" is significant harm to our
community.  Bruce's letter and some of his recent articles do a very good job
of explaining how, and why Novell is unethical in playing games with legal
loopholes to get around the agreement they make by distributing GPL software.
This is an open letter he just wrote on the subject, and I have added my name.

http://technocrat.net/d/2006/11/22/11247