[lug] Bruce Perens's open letter to Novell

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Nov 23 18:11:56 MST 2006

>[sarcasm]
>Yes, I'm sure Microsoft just spent hundreds of millions to make it easier to
>deploy Linux and make it interoperable with Windows.
>[\sarcasm]

When MS can't own the market, or can't own the software, they try to own
the standards. The old joke about Bill Gates patenting 1 and 0 applies.
I'm guessing that what we'll see are a set of intercommunication
standards, and that in some way MS will let the software grow, then
charge for the protocols, API's, so on. They can easily be open
standards and open API's, but not free. Hmm, reminds me of a slashdot
story about someone patenting doubly-linked lists :P

I really really want to own the patent on software bugs, I'd clean MS
out in a few seconds :P

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net