[lug] RAID redundancy with boot sectors?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Nov 25 16:09:53 MST 2006

I'm curious about something with software RAID on linux. You can easily
make partitions redundant by using something like RAID 1/5/10 instead of
just partitioning directly on a drive. What's the right way to back up
the boot sector itself? Using software RAID 10 as an example, I believe
that since the BIOS and standard non-RAID controllers do not have any
knowledge of RAID, that there is no possibility of automatically
including the boot sector within the RAID. Would installing the boot
record onto the MBR of the first physical drive, then doing a dd of a
512 byte block to all other RAID drives at least make it possible to
yank the first drive out and move another drive into its place in order
to get boot ability back? Or would that also mess up the RAID itself
(and assuming LVM is being used, LVM too)? I'm just thinking that part
of the RAID data or LVM data could make the MBR itself different from
one physical drive to the next. I could imagine simply keeping a 512
byte dd copy of the MBR of each drive on a floppy and restoring via dd
if the drive ever got replaced.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net