[lug] So much for VMware

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun Nov 26 19:00:06 MST 2006

I had nothing but good things to say about the VMware beta on Linux (it worked
flawlessly), so I figured I'd upgrade to the "stable" version.  What could go
wrong if the beta was that good, right?  Now VNC doesn't work right with it
and it hangs approximately every 20 minutes.  I'm running a base Debian Sarge
virtual machine so I know it's not the VM OS hanging.

And thanks to it not being open source, I'm not going to be able to get back
that working beta install.  Guess I'm not too bright; how many times do I have
to get burned to learn that proprietary software is nearly always more trouble
than it's worth, even when it's free?  I may not be out any money but the time
I spent installing and learning VMware was wasted.  Back to qemu or time to
learn Xen.