[lug] RAID redundancy with boot sectors?

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun Nov 26 22:12:46 MST 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 08:05:04PM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:

> My experience has been the drives fail, and little else does -- but
> maybe my experience is the bad one.  :-)

I have a small stack of dead drives that I keep around (maybe as charms?)
testifying to this as well.  I have had maybe 3-4 MB or CPU failures since the
80s (that failed during normal operation), and a small mountain of dead disks.
Thinking back on it... I've spent a hell of a lot of money on computers.  ;)

I've had a few PSU failures too.  One spectacular one that sounded like a
gunshot when the power cap blew.  I was working in a hydrogen lab at the time,
and to say that it startled me would be an understatement.