[lug] Pointers Needed for Building Web Interface for PostgreSQL

Andrew Diederich andrewdied at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 18:48:48 MST 2006

Hello Bill,

> I'm looking for pointers/examples on how to build a web interface to a
> PostgreSQL database residing on a Fedora Core 5 system. I don't need
> anything too involved at this point; I just want to see what's involved in
> creating a simple interface that lets authorized users view records in a
> form based view and edit certain fields.

Had you thought about Django (http://www.djangoproject.com/)? It's a
python web-framework. I haven't personally set it up yet, though it
may have all of the pieces in Fedora already. The thing that they
really trumpet is the automatic admin interface. You tell it about the
data model (and they have tools to discover your existing data model
already) and it creates pages where you can see and modify the
database information. The tutorial for that part is
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/tutorial2/

As I recall, you get authentication for free, as well.  You'd want the
dev version -- it's currently one of those products where the "stable"
version is too old.

Basically, I've been trying to cajole people into trying it out so I
can see how well it works.

--
Best regards,
 Andrew