[lug] One laptop per child

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Fri Dec 1 17:47:18 MST 2006

hmmm...

First let me say that i think it is an admirable project.  i came across
it a year ago and i'm glad to see they are following through.  It's a
pretty unfair global world out there, including technology-wise, and this
group is actually trying to do something about it.

Now for the negatives (which is why i'm glad i'm not running that project
because i'd like to see it succeed if it can:-)):

1) technology needed to make this thing work

ok, i'm in the jungle or just on the outskirts of a city.  my screen is
7.5 inches.  this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  i can type on
it, etc.  But once that novelty wears off i want to do something USEFUL
with it.

a) Since it doesn't have a hard drive, how will i actually save any
documents and build upon my learning?

b) Ok it's got wireless, that at least gets me access to the WWW which
means i can read and learn whatever i want.  great. IN THEORY.  This
presumes you have a *robust* wireless network.  If you do (in nigeria
where you do have the ubiquitous cell towers) this could be a big success.
 If you don't have that, surfing is going to be a nightmare because it
depends on that idea about each laptop acting as a repeater to create a
peer to peer network back to the internet.  IF you're (even) able to
actually do that, i would think your internet experience is going to be
pretty horrendous, especially x hops down the line.

c) That really leaves this laptop to be an interent appliance device in an
internet services based model.  Without reasonable access to the internet,
it seems to fall apart.

d) As an internet services based model, it starts to seem more like a FOR
PROFIT MODEL disguised as a NONPROFIT.  (fyi this is opinion).  Mostly
because it is all dependent on the backend wireless infrastructure.  Where
are these wireless companies looking for growth?  in all the developing
countries because the developed countries are already saturated.  more
customers means they can sell more equipment, etc.

The second profit model is computers.  Remember, how once you got your
amiga, then you wanted a pc, and now you wanted a dual core whatever...
Once you put these entry level laptops into these new hands you've created
a market for the next greatest thing (note, i realize the potential
benefits that also come from putting those laptops in folks hands as
well).

The third profit model is the one that comes at the hand of surfing on the
net.  You start to see gadgets and clothes and cars and all kinds of
things you've never seen before.  A customer is born (albeit one who can't
buy any of those things because they're so damn poor)

e) "seeing the bigger world outside your own backyard" likely leads to
some of the following possibilities:

- after using the thing and realizing how useless it is, they toss the
thing  out (more pollution) or use it in some creative way (some household
use like a doormat).

- some of those people get really pissed off because they see all the
"stuff" everyone else has that they don't have.  that the world is
actually unfair.  they want to strike back.  or they want to be like. or
they want to get out and immigrate somewhere else (leave their problems
behind).

- the countries themselves ban what gets through the wireless network.
people really don't have free access to information.  progress is halted.
ideology indoctrinated. (china does this already)

- they use knowledge gained to increase local market development and
entrepreneurship allows them to improve their lot a little bit better than
they are now, so that they can buy "more stuff" from "the first world"..
but the balance of power and favorable conditions is still in favor of the
first world.  basically things improve a little better for the developing
country but on the whole nothing really changes but enough corporations
make money on the arrangement.

- the third world starts communicating with the rest of the world at a
very personal level (unlike the news does today) and rest of the world
responds to actually do something about the problems.  they learn about
it.  they get active and put pressure on govts.

- best of all would be that they have free access to info and use the
technology to become stronger from within.  somehow want to stay and fix
things. become prosperous and independent. become doctors and teachers,
entrepreneurs, leaders, etc. :-)

And finally to address some comments with the post:

> As for the people who are doubters with respect to the money going into
> technology rather than educational infrastructure, I'm just as skeptical
> that
> an equal amount of money going into current school systems in these
> countries
> would make as much of an impact.  Schools suck in most of the world.

Do they?  that's a pretty blanket statement. how many other school systems
around the world have you actually been involved with or had children
close to you attend?  fyi, not trying to be a pain in the rear, just
trying to point out that that's a pretty broad statement that really needs
first hand experience to make factually IMHO.  It would better be
expressed as an *opinion*.

btw, I personally think one is most empowered if they have access to a mix
of BOTH internet (on demand, study at your own pace, own subject) and
classroom curriculum.  The internet based education allows one to expand
in areas they wish at their own pace.  Great for creativity and
well-roundedness.  BUT. If we all grew up ONLY learning and interacting
online, something tells me our ability to be social human beings in REAL
LIFE SITUATIONS would suffer.  There's a lot that probably comes out of
sitting in class 8 hours a day (good and bad) that we unconscioulsy
process and incorporate into our being in the best/worst of school
settings.

> If these > computers are really available and internet-connected, these
kids will
> learn
> English very quickly and bypass the education system, much like much of
> Africa
> bypassed landline phones and went straight to cell phones.  The
> English-learning part might require video, though, and I'm not sure if
> that's
> possible with this project.

There is an assumption here that learning English (and learning it
quickly) is the key to an education and success or even 'wisdom' in this
statement.  I don't think this is accurate at all.  Having lived and
traveled extensively overseas, the websites and educational materials are
in native languages!!!.  If you want to learn english that's fine.  It
WILL probably help in terms of learning technology & sw.  Otherwise
English is not the end all and be all factor.

Nor is the American dogma or ideology or thought that is propagated by the
English language.  There are many ways to skin a cat.  All deserve a look.
 Often times, the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.  For
instance, a way of doing something in swahili plus a little estonian
ingenuity plus a peruvian idea might just be the recipe for success that
solves the worlds biggest problem.  Note that English was not mentioned in
that equation.  I wonder if the focus on English often doesn't prevent
great ideas from coming to fruition.  In general, my experience (and i
believe there are supporting studies)is that most Americans are weak when
it comes to knowledge of second and third languages.  Maybe if more of us
knew other languages, we could learn what the rest of the world has to
offer and teach us.  Rather than shout and hope other listen.  Or at least
not wait until or hope others translate it back to us in English.

Just thought that point needed to be made.