[lug] So much for VMware

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Dec 2 20:42:57 MST 2006

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:04:20PM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
>Ahh yes, mainframes.  Built for a trusted network.  Not the Internet.
>Apples 'n' Oranges.

Most PCs run on a "trusted network" as well, behind at least one firewall,
so...?

>mainframes aside, I don't think I've ever seen one put on a public
>network directly.)

Then you haven't been watching very closely...  The most obvious example I
can think of was the press release from IBM years ago about how one of the
UKs largest ISPs was purchasing a mainframe to run tons of Linux instances
on for hosting.  Just a larger scale of what I'm doing with Xen.  ISTR that
they were talking tens of thousands of virtual machines.  I'm sure there
are others, but I'm so far removed from mainframes, that I'm not surprised
I don't know.

My point being that virtualization is technology that has been useful for a
very long time, it's not just some new marketing push...

Sean
--
 Do you think reading about cowboys is sufficient to ride a horse?
 Like horses, real programs tend to throw you.  -- John Shipman, 1997