[lug] One laptop per child

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sun Dec 3 11:21:43 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 22:52 -0700, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:13:09PM -0700, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> > I have to agree.  "Choose peace" is nothing more than a slogan.  An
> > individual can't just choose peace.  You know, I *LOVE* my laptop, but I'd

Actually, Sean wrote that, not me (though I agree).

> And again it CAN be that simple.

Really?  Perhaps you should ask the Iraqi's how much choice they had in
the present situation.  Or the Burmese.  Or the N. Koreans (okay, bad
example since they're mostly brain washed).  Sometimes, it's not a
choice unless you're willing to give up peace first.

> Whether or not you slug me (kidding) over this post has nothing to do with
> a laptop when we're face to face (or maybe it does :-;)  It's between you
> and me brother.  It really IS as simple as that.  It's a choice.  You do
> or you don't.  What's difficult or hard about that? :-)...

In our world, nothing.  But again, choosing peace vs a laptop is a silly
premise since those providing the laptop have no way to provide both.
So it's the laptop.  They can choose to have, or not have, that.

> Read the posts.  I DO think what they are doing is great.  I DID preface
> that i want them to succeed.  Did i put them down?  Where?  None that i
> can find.

I'm not sure I said you did, but if I did then I'll stand corrected.
I'm just arguing against your point.  In my (limited) view of the world
I think there is far too much "do nothing" and am offended when someone
makes a stand (even a small one) against those who are at least trying
to do something better.

> I was merely pointing out the potential struggles they are likely to face
> and alternativie ways of looking at the situation.

Fair enough.

> Sometimes when one becomes so enamored with technology, one loses focus
> and perspective with regard to it.

But it's not these guys.  They've thought this through fairly well on
many levels.

> In many ways it isn't about OLPC at all.   I looked at it as an
> opportunity to discuss the relvance of technology in solving problems.
> What are we doing with all the hours (mine included) in front of a
> computer?  Are we harnassing that potential in ways to "do good" - not
> just to make money or entertain or hope it's doing good?

Most of the active participants on this list do.  That's kind of why the
list is here.  To spread information.  In it's small way, that's "doing
good".

> And that's my suggestion for what we can do to reach the goals.  Simply
> allow the forum to challenge technology.

Fair enough.  I just took the opposing view.  :-)
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org  |  Books we'll never see: