[lug] Stopping the New Generation of Spam

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 15:14:41 MST 2006

On 12/3/06, Bill Thoen <bthoen at gisnet.com> wrote:
> Over the last 2-3 months I've been getting a *lot* more spam than ever
> before and Spamassassin doesn't seem to be reacting fast enough or
> effectively enough to deal with it. In particular, it doesn't seem to be
> able to block these messages filled with random snippets of english
> text and/or those where the message is embedded as an image.

My answer may not be suitable for you, but I dealt with this
permanently about 2 years ago. The answer is a gmail account. gmail
has a very good, continuously learning spam filter. All spam is
trapped under a spam label.where you can analyze it if you prefer. I
don't. I just whack the entire label daily (ca. 100-300 per day). If
you are even lazier, you can just let it pile up, and google will
trash the spam after 10 days. I get about 10 misses per week that I
need to manually tag as spam.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm rapidly forgetting
everything I once new about running my own mailer plus spam filtering
and loving every minute of it.

--
Collins Richey