[lug] One laptop per child

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun Dec 3 18:45:39 MST 2006

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 05:47:18PM -0700, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:

> > As for the people who are doubters with respect to the money going into
> > technology rather than educational infrastructure, I'm just as skeptical
> > that an equal amount of money going into current school systems in these
> > countries would make as much of an impact.  Schools suck in most of the
> > world.
>
> Do they?  that's a pretty blanket statement. how many other school systems
> around the world have you actually been involved with or had children
> close to you attend?  fyi, not trying to be a pain in the rear, just
> trying to point out that that's a pretty broad statement that really needs
> first hand experience to make factually IMHO.  It would better be
> expressed as an *opinion*.

That was definitely opinion.  I have only observed schools in the U.S.
(several) and one in Germany (only for a day).  All the ones I have observed
were crummy, at least for the bright students.  I know a bit about Chinese
schooling from a office-mate, and I know a bit about Norwegian schools from a
former co-worker.  The rest is just from reading, so none of my experience is
all that conclusive, just a gut feeling mostly.

My main point was that I'm skeptical that an equivalent amount of money spent
on traditional educational systems would do any better.  In the case of
Africa, corruption is so bad in much of the continent that if you allocate a
bunch of money for something like "improve school systems", unless you spend a
large percentage of it on accountability, watch it disappear into thin air.
Something more tangible like a laptop is easier to keep track of if you do
distribution yourself.

> btw, I personally think one is most empowered if they have access to a mix
> of BOTH internet (on demand, study at your own pace, own subject) and
> classroom curriculum.  The internet based education allows one to expand
> in areas they wish at their own pace.  Great for creativity and
> well-roundedness.  BUT. If we all grew up ONLY learning and interacting
> online, something tells me our ability to be social human beings in REAL
> LIFE SITUATIONS would suffer.  There's a lot that probably comes out of
> sitting in class 8 hours a day (good and bad) that we unconscioulsy
> process and incorporate into our being in the best/worst of school
> settings.

Yes, good school and a good teacher is important.  But a laptop is a whole lot
easier to arrange, logistically speaking.

> > If these > computers are really available and internet-connected, these
> kids will
> > learn English very quickly and bypass the education system, much like much
> > of Africa bypassed landline phones and went straight to cell phones.  The
> > English-learning part might require video, though, and I'm not sure if
> > that's possible with this project.
>
> There is an assumption here that learning English (and learning it
> quickly) is the key to an education and success or even 'wisdom' in this
> statement.  I don't think this is accurate at all.  Having lived and
> traveled extensively overseas, the websites and educational materials are
> in native languages!!!.  If you want to learn english that's fine.  It
> WILL probably help in terms of learning technology & sw.  Otherwise
> English is not the end all and be all factor.

I think learning English (for professional-track students) is critical for the
growth of third-world economies.  All scientists must understand English to be
proficient, and it's extremely useful for engineers.  It's important for
doctors.  Most other professionals are also at an advantage if they know
English.  I was in Poland for a month a couple of years ago, and nearly every
billboard was advertising English classes.  It's an important skill these
days, and the smaller your language is the more important it is to learn
English.

> Nor is the American dogma or ideology or thought that is propagated by the
> English language.  There are many ways to skin a cat.  All deserve a look.
>  Often times, the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.  For
> instance, a way of doing something in swahili plus a little estonian
> ingenuity plus a peruvian idea might just be the recipe for success that
> solves the worlds biggest problem.  Note that English was not mentioned in
> that equation.  I wonder if the focus on English often doesn't prevent
> great ideas from coming to fruition.  In general, my experience (and i
> believe there are supporting studies)is that most Americans are weak when
> it comes to knowledge of second and third languages.  Maybe if more of us
> knew other languages, we could learn what the rest of the world has to
> offer and teach us.  Rather than shout and hope other listen.  Or at least
> not wait until or hope others translate it back to us in English.

You are right, of course, but there are massive benefits in efficiency by
having a common world language.  I witnessed many situations while traveling
where two people would speak English to each other when it was the second
language for both of them.  Why?  Because they didn't share the same primary
language.  That's why I say it's important if your language group is small.
It's not necessarily so you can talk to an American, it's so you can talk to
the person in the next country who doesn't share your language.  Sure, you can
learn their language, but are you going to do that for every person you might
do business with?  Or will you just all learn English and use it as the common
language of science, engineering, travel, medicine, and international
business?  I think the answer is obvious.