[lug] One laptop per child

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Sun Dec 3 19:33:38 MST 2006

> We've spent billions of dollars in Africa since the 60s trying to achieve
> those things, nearly all of it wasted.  I say "wasted" in the sense that
> the
> level of poverty in many of the areas where much of the money was spent is
> the
> same as it was before we started spending the money.  Why not try
> something
> else for a change?

> The real problem in much of the world, in my opinion, is corruption.  As
> long
> as corruption is endemic, those things in your list at the top are
> impossible.

fwiw, understand that corruption is often two-sided.  sometimes we have a
tendency to blame the recipient for the corruption or the results attached
to donations.  but the giver of the funds is often as culpable.

in the case of africa, much of the money given to africa over the years
really had nothing to do with helping anybody (actually it was given to
help the giver).  it wasn't really about peace, or clean water or any of
"those things". it was political money sent to actually keep dictators we
favored in control knowing full well what was going on.  it was more about
the cold war then helping any one on that continent.  money was also given
to exploit that continent's natural resources and benefit the givers (and
increase debt for the recipients). and this only compounded the fact that
africa was decimated after centuries of colonization by these same
outsiders that now are percieved as donors.  That's the unfairness of the
whole thing.  Colonization virtually created the predicament africa is in
today. And out of that situation, should we say void, stepped in the
corruption that exists today.  And in that sense, africans bear as much
responsibility for perpetuation of the corruption and problems that exist
in more recent times.

Recent monetary aid to africa is more about creating real change.  And
helping in meaningful ways. I can say for sure but i beleive it has more
oversight as well.    Big problems though.  Whoppers.  You often wonder
what actually can be done there..

> That's my opinion anyhow.  A laptop, on the other hand, can possibly be
> something you could successfully give to these people to help.  In that
> sense,
> I suspect is has as much potential to acheive those noble goals at the top
> as
> traditional methods of aid, considering their success rate.

As you said, corruption is endemic.  Nothing is immune. Whether it be the
giver or the reciever.  Governments or non profits.  Explore the options.
Use them all. Scrutinize them.  Monitor and tweak.  Get something done!