[lug] Stopping the New Generation of Spam

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Mon Dec 4 08:44:39 MST 2006

I've done a few different things. My current false negative rate is
about 10-15 pieces a day. Without filtering, I get about 700 pieces of
spam a day.

I've tightened up my mail server using the recommendations here:

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/focus_spam_postfix/

Specifically, I tightened up the HELO checking, and implemented SPF. I
didn't do greylisting because we do phone tech support a lot. Waiting an
indeterminate time for a message to clear greylisting just would not work.

Since 2:00 AM this morning, 850 messages were rejected from my mail
server because of bogus HELO, and 269 messages were rejected because of
SPF validation. Primarily, people trying to send spam to me on my domain
name.

Before someone sends me a rant on SPF, just save it.

Finally, at the server side I use Amavisd (w/ SpamAssassin turned off),
and bogofilter. My false positive rate is 0, and as I said above, the
false negative rate is less than 2%.