[lug] software engineering

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Dec 4 16:51:12 MST 2006

William D. Knoche wrote:

> It should also be noted that a popular joke a few years ago was that the
> biggest contribution form the worlds largest software company was a
> demonstration of just how low one could set the quality bar and still
> get people to pay $100 year after year. It was of course intended as a
> very nasty criticism but now seems to have turned out to be a useful
> metric that everyone is using.

Heh... agreed.  This is the part that hurts my soul.  :-)

But that's 'cause I'm a "support guy" and supporting something built off
of that model, or even contemplating supporting something build off that
model... really... really... sucks.

Oh well, the "market" will take care of it... I'll be off doing
something else if the product I support ever gets that bad.  :-)

Nate