[lug] Stopping the New Generation of Spam

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Tue Dec 5 15:25:25 MST 2006

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 12:43:17PM -0700, Philip Cooper wrote:

> CRM114 is no pleasure to install but it it fast.  DSPAM has a mysql
> backend and a web front-end but I miss neither.  I have setup a
> forwarding of my mail to gmail to compare accuracy.  After a couple of
> days of training, I was better off than ever before and after a couple
> of weeks I was doing better than the geniuses at google (story attacks
> seem to trip them up occasionally).

How does it work against the "random story + GIF attachment" spam?  I got the
Debian package for crm114 and looked at the docs on how it classifies, and I
don't see how it would work on those, since it's basically breaking the text
of the email into tokenized phrases and looking for them in spam vs. non-spam.

Nearly all the spam I get in the last several months is the story + GIF stock
spam.  Greylisting seems to get everything else, even though greylisting
doesn't have anything to do with the content.  I guess the stock guys are the
ones how control the zombie nets, and some of those retry.