[lug] One laptop per child

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Dec 6 01:42:33 MST 2006

dio2002 at indra.com wrote:

[I took some of this off-list with David, as I think this is far-afield
of our topic for this list.  But I wanted to reply to just one point
here, briefly.]

>> People look after their own best interests.  Period.  If these guys feel
>> better, wake up happy, and generally have shinier hair and gleaming
>> white teeth because they're shipping laptops to the third world, more
>> power to 'em.
>
> Mostly Agree.
>
> I do know others that do look after other then their own interests though.
>  So people like that do exist.
>
> curious - where do you fit in your own view of the world? would you
> classify yourself as one who purely looks after his own interests?

Yes.  But probably not in the sense that might indicate.  The
sterotypical "person who only looks after their own interests" is a
cold-hearted person driven by power, or money or something like that.

My interests are not necessarily good or bad, smart or ignorant, or even
accurately understood, even by myself.  But they're mine.  They're the
reason I get up in the morning and go do something.

I believe that we all do things because we have a personal interest in them.

Nate