[lug] Stopping the New Generation of Spam

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Dec 6 03:28:13 MST 2006

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 12:43:17PM -0700, Philip Cooper wrote:
>description of why this is *THE* way to filter spam.  Using things like
>spamassassin or even SPF in front of CRM114 or dspam can actually hurt
>performance.  One install and you are done.  No multi-layered approach

It depends on the performance you are talking about.  CRM114 and DSPAM are
actually fairly "expensive" checks, though not as expensive as
SpamAssasssin, probably not as expensive as ClamAV.  However they do
require significantly more CPU horsepower than SPF or greylisting.
Depending on your mail load and server huevos, this may be an issue.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 If we could sell our experiences for what they cost us, we'd all be
 millionaires.  -- Abigail Van Buren