[lug] Blog Software?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Dec 6 19:25:00 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 18:15 -0700, David Morris wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions on linux blog software which can
> meet the following requirements:

Most of this is supported out of the box in Wordpress
(www.wordpress.org).  Wordpress has tons of plugins which would probably
fill in the rest of your needs (sorting by time is the only one I'm not
sure about).  It also supports "widgets", which allow you to drag and
drop, using the admin interface through your browser, components for
your sidebar.  You can see some of what's possible on my blog:
www.graphics-muse.org.  There are a ton of ready-made themes and if you
know any CSS you can easily create your own.

I was working with wordpress today and managed to turn another blog (for
my upcoming book, the site of which is not yet publicly available) into
more of a CMS by making a "page" (a special kind of post) into a static
front page with only a few minor modifications to some php code.  The
wordpress wiki site tells you exactly how to do this (under Page
Templates).  Themes play a big part in this too, as you can make custom
headers, sidebars, logos, footers, etc.

Anyway, I can't say enough about Wordpress.  I'm fairly convinced I'll
be converting all my sites into Wordpress sites since it can easily be
contorted into a real CMS with only a little tweaking.

FYI, all the plugins and widgets are (to my knowledge) written in PHP,
as is the wordpress core.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org  |  Books we'll never see: