[lug] mail server preference

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Dec 6 22:52:57 MST 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 4:10 PM, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:

> in relation to the recent thread about spam, i'm wondering what
> folks are
> using as their preferred mail server these days.

MTA:

           exim4 at home... more out of habit than anything... exim3
was on the first Debian server I set up and it seemed saner than
sendmail for various reasons back then and still does.
           sendmail at work... out of having no need to mess around
with it on Solaris machines that aren't mailservers.
           qmail at one ISP I've helped set things up at... because
they were already familiar with it and it was "there".
           postfix on everything else I've ever set up that was a
real mail server... because it's saner than sendmail (again that) and
it's really fast, stable, reliable, lowest observed resource
utilization, and lots of user-based support.  If I ever had any
reason to move away from exim4, postfix would be it... I just don't
want to deal with the brain-damage of rebuilding this highly-
customized mail server right now.  Maybe later.

IMAP:
           courier at home... because uw-imap was killing the machine
under heavy load.  Conversion to courier and Maildir both added
stability (giant mbox files are frightening) and lots more speed.

POP3:
           qpopper... at the above mentioned ISP.  But I've
personally been avoiding mail servers that don't do IMAP for many
years now due to having far too much stored mail and enjoying having
the server pre-sort things into my folders for me.  (GRIN)

MUA:
            mutt... because it's there and it always works via ssh
anywhere I go...
            Thunderbird... because I can't ALWAYS be stuck in the
80's at the command line.  (GRIN)
            Apple Mail.App... because it works pretty darn well, and
it's on the Macs, at no additional charge after steep initial
purchase price.  :-) :-) :-)

(Comment on work -- only worked for one place ever that didn't run
Exchange as there internal mail host.  That other place ran qmail.
One place front-ended Exchange with sendmail boxes on the public
side, but they were bastion hosts in a DMZ, and unaccessible by the
end-user population.  Another front-ends Exchange with a commercial
spam/anti-virus company hosting the MX records.  So I do have to put
up with the silliness of the Exchange/Outlook marriage daily, also.
I'm comfortable in Outlook and have figured out its quirks enough to
use it for daily mail and calendaring because every mixed solution
I've tried for an MUA to talk to it and try to deal with being a non-
Outlook user at the office has resulted in "something doesn't work
right", which was more annoying than being free of the silly thing.
I don't use it for personal mail, only official office junk.)

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com