[lug] mail server preference

Philip Cooper Philip.Cooper at openvest.org
Thu Dec 7 14:09:05 MST 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 04:10:16PM -0700, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:

> in relation to the recent thread about spam, I'm wondering what
> folks are using as their preferred mail server these days.

I'll offer another $.02 worth just because I was posting on the spam
thread.

Qmail -- used Sendmail.  My experience, I have vowed to never ever see
a sendmail.cf again!  Qmail does seem to have an awful lot of "qmail
specific" things (.qmail files and such).  I'm happy but would
probably look at Postfix if I were starting from scratch.

Courier IMAP -- I don't even bother with a pop mail server.  Pop mail
is of no interest to me.

CRM114 (my spam posting ref) is accessed through a procmail delivery.
I have a quarantine mailbox with two submailboxes (learnspam and
learnnonspam)for training.  I move any training email there and a
cronjob takes it from there.  This is much easier than the mail back
to me stuff that they offer as a default training method.

--
Phil