[lug] mail server preference

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Dec 8 00:57:06 MST 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 11:13 PM, D. Stimits wrote:

> If the system has installed sendmail initially, what breaks when
> removing sendmail, followed by installing postfix as a substitute?
> Since this simply provides a named service on a port, is it
> possible to switch over to postfix from sendmail and just have it
> work once postfix is configured?

Generally the packages for most distros are "sane" settings for both
-- you just have to convince the package manager that removing the
MTA is "okay" since a lot of packages depend on having an MTA present.

It's slightly distro-specific at that point, but after that, you'd be
cookin' with gas.

Also if you've done a lot of modifications to sendmail (to add in
spam filtering or use a smarthost at your ISP for outbound mail
delivery, etc), you'd have to make a list of those things and then
hack away on postfix to get the same (or similar) results... again
Google is probably the most helpful here.

"switching from sendmail to postfix redhat" in Google found a Googol
of hits.  :-)  Assuming you're doing a "redhat'ish" box.   I'm
assuming that because you say you started out with sendmail... on the
Debian derivatives you'd probably be coming from exim...

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com