[lug] AC97 sound on recent kernel?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri Dec 8 07:03:31 MST 2006

Has anyone else had problems with AC97 sound and recent kernels, and
more importantly fixed it?  I haven't had sound for years except for one
short-lived system.  Not entirely a bad thing when you run into a
website with a loud sound track. ;-)

I know that the on-board sound is from an 'AC97' chip and there used to
be two flavors in the kernel.  I had just recompiled the kernel with the
second version when I fried my last motherboard.

The new kernel, from Debian testing, only has one AC97 driver.  No sound
though.  It's definitely not the speakers or plugging the speakers in
the wrong place.