[lug] AC97 sound on recent kernel?

D. Frye dafr at dafr.us
Fri Dec 8 15:21:41 MST 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 02:45:09PM -0700, Ken MacFerrin wrote:
} Nate Duehr wrote:
} > Bear Giles wrote:
} >
} >> The new kernel, from Debian testing, only has one AC97 driver.  No
} >> sound though.  It's definitely not the speakers or plugging the
} >> speakers in the wrong place.
} >
} > Linux sound is still generally as FUBAR as it's always been.  :-)
} >
} > I could give a general history of what it is like to support some 1000+
} > machines and owners of those machines I don't know via our volunteer
} > support group for our VoIP project, but it's too painful.
} >
} > Linux sound issues are many, and varied.
} >
} > What kind of chipset are you running and on what kernel/distro?  I'll
} > try to help...
} >
} > By the way, the "forever fix" for Linux audio issues seems to be... "Buy
} > a cheap SB Live card and disable the on-board sound".  They always work
} > right.  :-)
} >
}
} Yep.. did this years ago on my desktop and haven't worried about sound
} again.  A great use of $30 in my opinion.

I once thought this was the fix as well, then I came across a mother-
board with a really badly broken BIOS. I fought for over a year to get
it to work with various attempts, including a Creative Labs SB Live!
sound card to no avail.

Only after booting to a recent Knoppix CD did I notice that I could pass
"acpi=off noapic pci=bios" to the kernel on boot and get around the
problem. It took the 'pci=bios' to do the trick, as I had tried the
other two pieces already.

--

D. Frye
dafr AT dafr.us