[lug] AC97 sound on recent kernel?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 18:35:34 MST 2006

On 12/8/06, Daniel Webb <lists at danielwebb.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 02:32:54PM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:

> > By the way, the "forever fix" for Linux audio issues seems to be... "Buy
> > a cheap SB Live card and disable the on-board sound".  They always work
> > right.  :-)
>

> Yes.  I also like the old Ensoniq 1370 cards.  They always work right too, and
> sound great as well.  Then the Soundblaster guys bought them so the advice is
> back to "get a cheap SB Live card" I suppose.

I have a couple of Ensoniq cards, but alsa is totally incapable of
using them. About a year ago when I bought my Gateway PC that has a
quite new nVidia MCP51 chipset, I couldn't getsound to work - on older
systems like CentOS4or on new systems like *buntu, so I tried the
Ensoniq card,but gave up after 2 frustrating weeks of googling and
screwing with it. Meanwhile, Dapper caught up with the MCP51 curve,
and I've had ok sound (typical on board sound, not much volume) ever
since.

As is always the case, the Ensoniq card worked without a hitch if I
booted Windows.

Sound is a stinking pile on Linux, but no one to blame. I'm sure the
coding must be quite difficult, or there's only one developer world
wide, but it surely seems that alsa doesn't make much progress.

--
Collins Richey