[lug] 1920 x 1200 video cards

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Dec 10 02:20:57 MST 2006

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 10:29:54PM -0700, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
>i'm thinking about getting a Dell Wide Screen flat panel with 1900 x 1200
>resolution.

The other option that I'd consider, if I used a desktop instead of a
laptop, is geting an LCD HDTV.  I think the resolution is 1920x1080
(obviously, go for the progressive instead of interlaced), at sizes up to
47".  No farting around with binary drivers, dual head, a big, black bar in
the middle of your "screen", or having to set up the correct window
creation policy (like, don't open it in the "middle", with one half of the
window on each display).

Obviously, it depends on what you're looking for.  A "pro" level 47"
display is probably going to be prohibitively expensive, but the lower end
models are relatively affordable.

One of the guys in NCLUG over the summer got a cheap-ass 21" 1600x1200 TFT
via a rebate, something under $300, and paired it with his existing NEC.
The problem there is that the displays don't match that well, but it does
work pretty well.  Sadly, some issues with the motherboard and how it
(didn't really) handled 2GB of RAM caused him to spend something like a
month buying and returning video cards.

Personally, I'm waiting for roll-up OLED displays so my laptop can easily
have a display that I can unroll to a reasonable length.  Or really high
res glasses display.  Most of the glasses displays are like VGA resolution.
Ooh!

Sean
--
 "Are you classified as human?"  "No, I am a meat popcicle."
                 -- _The_Fifth_Element_