[lug] Beagle

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun Dec 10 21:26:41 MST 2006

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 08:06:42PM -0700, David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Why does 31 packages matter, especially on Etch?  It's one command to
> put them on and one to take them off.

In my experience, that's not necessarily true in practice.  I still haven't
gotten the hang of aptitude (actually, I find it highly unintuitive so I
haven't felt like learning it), and if you don't use aptitude it's easy to end
up with a lot of orphaned dependencies cluttering up your system over time.

Also, I don't know if this is still true, but in the past a lot of packages
didn't clean themselves up properly (even with --purge) and required a lot of
manual cleanup or a lot of file orphans ended up hanging around.

And being a true Unix believer, I always try to kill orphans and zombies.
:)