[lug] rsync permissions problem

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Dec 14 21:32:36 MST 2006

>On the WWW server /var/www is permissioned 775 wwwrun.www .
>The user who pushes the files is named "back". "back" is in the www  group.

What exactly do you mean by being in the group? Is this his primary
group? Or is it another group which is in addition to the one he has
from original creation?

>When I call the script from dev I get all these permission denied errors and
>Im not sure why because its group WWW writable.
>The only way I can get this to work is by chmod 777 /var/www then reverting.
>
>Any idea??

If this is not his primary group, he has to use newgrp in order to take
on the permissions of that group. Aside from ACL's, probably not being
logged in as that particular group would come to mind first.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net