[lug] dns weirdness

Ben bluey at iguanaworks.net
Mon Dec 18 15:10:25 MST 2006

Anyone having problems with accessing Qwest's DNS servers from linux?

I have this configuration:

Linux         ------>
                            Firewall -> Actiontek 701 ---> Internet
Windows   ----->

On the linux box,  the command

host www.google.com 205.171.3.65

times out. On the windows box, it works fine. (Well, ping www.google.com
-- I don't know the windows equivalent to host, but it is using the
205.171.3.65 as its dns server)

Now, the actiontek is running linux (busybox login) and it has
205.171.3.65 as its dns server in /etc/resolv.conf file and it appears
to work fine (host isn't installed, so I can only test things with
ping). So, if I point the linux box to use the actiontek as a dns
server, it works fine.

host www.google.com 10.0.0.1
work fine.

Now this works, except that MX records don't seem to work through the
actiontek

bluey at vescent:~$ host www.google.com 10.0.0.1
www.google.com          CNAME   www.l.google.com
www.l.google.com        A       72.14.203.99
www.l.google.com        A       72.14.203.104

but

bluey at vescent:~$ host -T MX google.com 10.0.0.1

times out. Any idea on what is going on? I'm wondering if this is some
firewall issue? But how come the windows boxes work fine, and the
actiontek linux works, but my debian box can't get dns directly from
qwest. Any why can't the actiontek forward MX dns records?

Thanks,

Ben