[lug] Interesting Article about Firewall hole punching

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Dec 19 10:42:44 MST 2006

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Dan Ferris wrote:
>> http://www.heise-security.co.uk/articles/print/82481
>
> Hole punching seems inflamatory to me.  This is just typical innovation,
> the same kind that brought you NAT.
>
> I wouldn't call a NAT box a firewall.  Nor would I call iptables a
> firewall if you only used the NAT table.
>
> And for all the admins out there trying to block Skype, an article that
> discussed how to do that and what the implications were to other
> services would have been much more interesting.

Yeah, that article is crap.  I like how he states that Skype "pursuades"
the firewall to let it through.  Bah.

Can we please kick people like this out of our industry so people don't
think computers are "black magic" and "voodoo"?

No wonder customers have no idea what they want.  People like this lying
about how the techology works so they can have a "security" title on
their website.  Sad.

Nate