[lug] dns weirdness

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 10:45:57 MST 2006

On 12/19/06, Stephen Queen <svqueen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/19/06, Ben <bluey at iguanaworks.net> wrote:
> > Thanks for all the replies on my DNS weirdness. The problem magically
> > went away after I lost my internet connection and restarted the dsl modem.
> >
> > My leading theory is that qwest's dns servers stopped working (I could
> > ping them though), but my actiontek kept a good cache of most sites I

And my theory would be that the Actiontec stopped working.  That's
based primarily on my experience with Actiontecs - from a PCI modem
which consistently locked up my Linux box after hanging up the line,
to numerous DSL modems which have gotten cranky (frequent reboots
required), become comatose (firmware reinstall required) or gone
"restin'" (ala dead parrot) (replaced by Qwest).

I guess one test would have been to lookup some addresses from both
sources (like "dig @SERVERIPADDRESS www.google.com") to see which
server responded consistently.

> When I was having the same issues back in March,  I got this response.
> On 12/5/05, Ken Kinder <kkinder at gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought a Zoom modem and have had no problems since.

That was my experience in replacing Actiontecs with Zoom, too.

Calvin