[lug] Something seemingly simple

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Tue Dec 19 11:22:24 MST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 07:30:57AM -0700, Hugh Brown wrote:

> So the line is NULL terminated and each field can have anything in it
> including newlines?

Yes, I'm trying to store owner, group, permissions, etc, separated by spaces,
then a Unix filename, which means null termination.  So I can know that there
will be X variable, space-delimited fields, followed by the filename which can
have any character except null.  The question is how to extract only the
filename from such a line.  I still haven't figured out a way to do it with
the standard unix tools.