[lug] Assembly syntax?

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 22:22:17 MST 2006

Hi, folks.

I'm sure this is a simple question for somebody, but I can't seem to
get anything useful out of google about it.

There are various different syntaxes for assembly language.  There's
AT&T format, there's the Intel format, and apparently various others.
Gnu 'as' and 'objdump's preferred syntax apparently varies to match
the architecture.  I was wondering if anyone would happen to have
information about the "MIT syntax", as it seems to be referred to.

There's also the wrinkle in the manpage for 'as': "This doesn't mean
as always uses the same  syntax as another assembler for the same
architecture; for example, we know of several incompatible versions of
680x0 assembly language syntax."

How convenient.  The documentation seems rather sparse.  Searching for
assembly-related stuff and the word "MIT" is utterly useless.
Suggestions?

(In case anyone's curious, I'm playing with Qemu's m68k emulation,
which is currently in their CVS tree.  I'm mostly interested because
of the possibility of using qemu as a palmpilot emulator.  And yes, I
know about Palm's emulator.)

--
epistemological humility
  Chris Riddoch